What child do you know, having been offered anything he or she desires, would choose not to get it?
I’d be hard pressed to find one.
What about you?
Did you know that as adults, we struggle with that problem?
You may disagree.
What adult do you know who would pass up a chance to get their heart’s desire, free of cost?
People would be lining up to get their free house, car, college tuition for their child, groceries and more.
But those are temporal things. What about the things that truly matter, spiritual things?
That seems to be when our reticence kicks in.
Yet, we are told to ask: (so many times)
1. “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray…” 2 Chronicles 7:14a KJV
2. “And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you…” Luke 11:9 KJV
3. “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God…” James 1:5 KJV
4. “Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God…” Isaiah 7:11a KJV
5. “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.” Matthew 21:22 KJV
6. “If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.” John 14:14 KJV
7. “But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering…” James 1:6a KJV
8. “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”
John 15:7 KJV
9. “…and God said, Ask what I shall give thee.” 1 Kings 3:5c KJV
How much more assurance do we need?
Children are generally not afraid to ask for something if they want it. They are conscious of the fact that their wellbeing depends on their parent(s).
Adults, we tend to be a bit more self-reliant. But that may be to our detriment.
In this regard, a child-like attitude will serve us better.
Consider Jesus’s advice to us, “Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.”
Luke 18:17 KJV
When we recognize that our entire existence depends on our Heavenly Father, we will also realize that we need to ask…
Ask to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
Ask for wisdom.
Ask for direction.
Ask for peace.
Ask for healing.
Ask for forgiveness.
Ask for the necessities of life.
Whatever it is that you need, just ask!
What a relief it is to know that God, who loves us more than anyone ever could, will not withhold his blessings from us.