Another benefit of being in the Shepherd’s fold is guidance.
A shepherd guides his flock in ways that are best for them. He is familiar with all the surrounding paths and knows which to avoid and which to take. He knows which are dangerous and which are safe.
His perspective is above the sheep’s which is why they trust him to guide and lead.
God can do the same for us. He knows the end from the beginning.
His eyes see far beyond our reach. Therefore, it is in our best interest to surrender to His leadership and to trust His guidance.
His guidebook, the Bible, has been left for us as a roadmap for our lives. In addition to words of wisdom directly from His mouth, we can also learn from the lives of those who have gone before us.
Furthermore, our Shepherd is available to us 24/7; we can go to Him at any time about anything.
We are reminded:
1. “The sayings of the wise are like the sharp sticks that shepherds use to guide sheep…They have been given by God, the one Shepherd of us all.”
Ecclesiastes 12:11 GNT
2. “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
Psalm 119:105 KJV
3. “The Lord will guide you always…” Isa. 58:11
4. “I will instruct you and teach you in the way that you should go…” Psalm
5. “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God…” James 1:5
6. “Trust in the Lord with all thy heart and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6
7. ” My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow me.” John 10:27
The sheep know who to depend on to lead them.
Image credit: Suleyman Sahan via Pexels